Consider Baylor Genetics Your One Stop for Family Planning
GeneAware is a reproductive carrier screen that detects disease-causing variants in 158 disorders by full gene sequencing, copy number analysis for genes with frequent deletions, and CGG repeat analysis for detection of Fragile-X . The screen includes serious disorders such as Duchenne muscular dystrophy, alpha-thalassemia, and MECP2 duplication syndrome, which are not routinely included in other carrier testing panels. GeneAware is intended to be used as a family planning tool, allowing patients to be tested individually or with their reproductive partner for their risk of having children with various genetic conditions. This test is intended to identify couples with high reproductive risk. Thus, concurrent testing of both prospective parents is highly recommended. For those who screen positive by GeneAware, Baylor Genetics has an extensive catalog of prenatal tests, including all genes available in the GeneAware panels. We also offer prenatal chromosome analysis, including microarrays.
We know that the risk for carrying certain genetic conditions varies from patient to patient based on several factors. Because of this diversity, we offer four different GeneAware panels to better meet the needs of your patients. Females are screened for X-linked Duchenne and Becker muscular dystrophies and Fragile-X syndrome in all four panel options.
Complete – over 150 disorders included for the most comprehensive screening
ACMG and ACOG – disorders recommended for screening by the ACMG and ACOG
Ashkenazi Jewish – over 35 disorders specific for individuals of Ashkenazi Jewish descent
Basic – several of the most commonly requested disorders
If you're not sure which GeneAware panel to order, our genetic counselors are happy to discuss the panel options to help you determine which panel is the best fit for your patient.
- Experienced certified genetic counselors are available to discuss patient reports and options for further testing with providers.
- Patients can set up a phone consultation with certified genetic counselors to review their results.
- Our billing team is extremely knowledgeable and is always on hand to answer questions about insurance coverage, test prices, and payment options. They are experienced in handling both the preauthorization and peer-to-peer processes.
- Client Services is available Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CST at 1-800-411-GENE to address any questions/concerns you may have.
- We are open Monday–Saturday to receive your samples.
Download Insurance Pre-authorization Form